Are You Seeking Addiction Treatment in Nashville or remotely?
Because mental health, addiction, and loneliness often go hand in hand, it can be difficult to overcome addictions without help. Additionally, addictions tend to be progressive – as time goes on, you may find they get worse.
While it seems like an unwinnable battle, with help from professional and experienced therapists, you or a loved one can overcome your addiction.
Is addiction a disease?
Yes. Addiction, or substance use disorder, is a disease that affects the body and brain, causing compulsive use of substances or behaviors/habits even when the consequences are harmful to health and relationships.
Is addiction hereditary?
Genetics may play a factor in your chances of becoming an addict. According to the NIDA, “…much as half of a person’s risk of becoming addicted to nicotine, alcohol, or other drugs depends on his or her genetic makeup.” This quote means that genetics can play a role in addiction. Although, it doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed to happen.
Gambling Addiction Treatment
Gambling disorder is an addiction where the person compulsively gambles despite the havoc it may cause. While it has different effects than alcohol or drugs, it stimulates the brain’s reward system similarly, leading to addiction.
“How do I know I’m a Gambling Addict?” It’s hard to determine accurately over the phone, so we’d love to invite you to our office. Give us a call! There are symptoms you could self-assess if that would make you more comfortable.
Symptoms of gambling addiction include (but aren’t limited to):
- You are preoccupied by gambling: You plan on gambling often (multiple times a week/month/or day).
- You’re chasing a feeling: Gambling can create a euphoric feeling when you’ve won. If you are chasing that feeling of gambling by increasing amounts of money, you could have a gambling disorder.
- Feeling restless when taking a break: If you feel restless or more irritable when trying to stop or lower how much you gamble, you could be addicted.
Gambling addiction treatment is more effective than ever. We provide Telehealth remote counseling in Nevada and Tennessee.
Substance Abuse Treatment
Given its high prevalence, SUD, or substance use disorder, is a very familiar term for most people. It comes in many forms, like cocaine, heroin, prescription drugs (such as Oxycontin or Adderall), and alcohol. Substance abuse disorder leads a person to use a substance uncontrollably. Typically the person’s life will see a decline in health, relationships, and finances.
Symptoms of substance abuse include (but aren’t limited to):
- Using the substance to cope or block out specific thoughts or feelings
- Spending money on the substance when you don’t have the money for it
- Not fulfilling your obligations because of substance use
- Crossing moral boundaries you previously wouldn’t to get the substance, such as stealing
You can see more SUD signs here. If you suffer from these symptoms, please call us today for substance use evaluation and help. We provide Telehealth remote counseling in Nevada and Tennessee, and in-person counseling in our Nashville therapy offices.
Food Addiction Treatment
Food addiction is a disorder where a person eats highly palatable food compulsively. Like drugs and alcohol, highly palatable food (usually rich in fat, salt, or sugar) triggers the reward system in the brain. The stimulation can override the feeling of being full, resulting in people eating even when they are not hungry.
Food addiction can be just as dangerous as other substances. Over time a food addict can become obese, develop diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and other health issues. Signs you may suffer from food addiction include (but aren’t limited to):
- Oftentimes eating more food that you originally planned
- Eating food even when you’re full
- Eating even through full-stomach pain
- Job or social life is impacted by overeating (like missing activities due to eating sickness)
Like other addictions, it can be challenging for the individual to identify that they have a food addiction. If you aren’t sure, let our therapists at On Your Mind Counseling help you. We’ll discern if you have a food addiction and provide a food addiction treatment plan.
Sex and Love Addiction
Sex and love addiction are both mental health issues that make it hard for a person to intimately and emotionally connect with others.The impairment results in obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviors centered around love and sex.
Sex addiction involves compulsions to participate in sexual acts – such as watching pornography, masturbating compulsively, paying for sex, voyeurism, and more. Symptoms include (but aren’t limited to):
- Strong sexual fantasies
- Uncontrollable sexual urges and behaviors
- Failures to follow through on desires and plans to decrease sexual activities
Love addiction is a pattern of infatuation and obsessive relationships. The infatuations can be about someone the sufferer knows or doesn’t know. People with this condition are usually desperate and insecure in relationships. Symptoms include (but aren’t limited to):
- Feeling euphoria over an imagined relationship
- Feeling dependent on your partner
- Feeling insecure when your partner is away from you
- Excluding previous hobbies or activities for excessive interest in a new relationship
Successful treatment for sex & love addiction exists. If you believe you suffer from sex or love addiction, please visit our office.
Porn Addiction Help
Porn addiction is an obsession with looking at pornographic materials. Being addicted to porn is prominent today because of how easy it easy to access. This obsession interferes with relationships, especially intimate ones, and responsibilities.
Signs of pornography addiction include (but aren’t limited to):
- Neglecting personal care, relationships, or obligations for pornography
- Becoming less interested in social interaction
- Watching porn in inappropriate places (work, school, etc.)
- Failed attempts at trying to quit pornography
- Watching increasing amounts of porn over six months
If you’re looking up, “how to stop watching porn,” counseling for porn addiction is the best place to start. Therapy for pornography addiction at On Your Mind Counseling is just a call away.
Gaming Addiction Treatment
Gaming addiction results in uncontrollable gaming habits. These habits interrupt the person’s relationships and responsibilities. The games are usually online, but game addiction can also happen in one-player games.
Signs of game addiction include (but aren’t limited to):
- Neglecting relationships and responsibilities as a result of gaming
- Symptoms of withdrawal from gaming (feelings of anxiety, anger, or sadness)
- Multiple unsuccessful attempts of trying to decrease time spent playing games
- Lying to family and friends about how much time was spent playing video games
- Poor self-care (hygiene, sleep habits, etc.)
The first step in getting help for a gaming addiction is understanding if you are an addict. Let us help you start down the path toward a better future where gaming no longer consumes ‘too many’ of your waking (or sleeping) hours.
Get Started Today
Now is a great time to reach out to On Your Mind Counseling, located in Nashville, Tennessee, and offering Telehealth remote therapy in both Tennessee and Nevada. Contact us today online or by phone at 615-499-6899 to set up an appointment.
Start Your Addiction Recovery Journey Today
We will help you achieve your sobriety goal. Meeting you weekly will be our pleasure, but ultimately, we want to give you tools to free you of your addictive thoughts and behaviors.
Walk the path of sobriety with us.
If you're interested in becoming a new client or if you have questions, please complete the form, call or email us. We look forward to hearing from you.
*Also offering Telehealth services to clients in Nevada and Tennessee.